iPad: Correctly scaling to 2x..

Forums Programming cocos2d support (graphics engine) iPad: Correctly scaling to 2x..

This topic contains 30 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  riq 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm #219496

slipster216
@slipster216

When I’m working on 2d games, I prefer to work in pixel space. It’s easy for me to think about things that way, as opposed to some image being 22.5% from the left of the screen.

With the iPad’s native 1024×768 resolution, and ability to output to external monitors at potentially arbitrary sizes, we’ll have to adapt the engine to properly handle native apps at multiple resolutions.

My suggestion is that we set a reference resolution to work in; so if you’re targeting the iPad’s native resolution but also want to run on the iphone, you’d do something like so:

[[CCDirector sharedDirector] setReferenceResolution:ccp(1024, 768)];
[mySprite setPosition:ccp(100,100)];

Now, if your running on the iPad the sprite is placed at 100,100. However, if your running on the iPhone, it would do the math and place the sprite at the correct position for a 320×480 resolution.

Sprite sheets would likely also need some concept of native resolution to do the proper scaling if we’re sharing them between devices. However, I’d imagine most games would want to save the memory, and instead scale all the source images down and put them into a secondary target.

January 27, 2010 at 10:30 pm #271629

Blue Ether
Participant
@blue-ether

Sounds like a good start.

I’m interested if anyone else has managed to figure out how to toggle between 1x and 2x iPhone modes in the iPad Simulator? Also, it appears as though the OpenGL viewport is not cropped or masked in any way. Objects moving in from off-screen are visible! It’s quite hilarious and disappointing. Not sure if this is just a Simulator issue though. EDIT: Turns out this was because I wasn’t building the project the correct way. My bad. Need to use Project/Transition to get things working right.

I’m somewhat concerned about the implications of the following statement for gaming apps:

‘(New) An application’s interface should support all landscape and portrait orientations. This behavior differs slightly from the iPhone, where running in both portrait and landscape modes is not required. For more information, see “Designing for Multiple Orientations.”’

Hope there is some leeway for gaming apps here- otherwise yikes!

January 28, 2010 at 4:43 am #271630

nsxdavid
@nsxdavid

Here’s some tips:

Take your existing cocos2d project:

Find the target for it in the groups. Right click and hit Transition. It will create a new target (and some other things).

You can now build your app two ways:

EIther as an iPhone app that will work in the iPad simulator (with the 2X button)

Or as a native iPad app with the graphics all in the lower left of the screen (because cocos2d doesn’t understand the iPad’s screen resolution yet)

Switch between them by changing the active executable in the drop-down.

– David

January 28, 2010 at 4:46 am #271631

nsxdavid
@nsxdavid

Correction, I think cocos2d DOES understand the bigger screen resolution… just that your app may or may not. :)

January 28, 2010 at 4:50 am #271632

Billy Lavoie
Participant
@billy-lavoie

yea, Cocos2d works fine with the extra real estate

January 28, 2010 at 7:34 am #271633

nsxdavid
@nsxdavid

Confirming… coscos2d seem ready for large screen resolutions out of the box! NICE!

January 28, 2010 at 8:18 pm #271634

danwar
Participant
@danwar

Have you guys got your projects working well in the simulator?

I’ve transitioned my app and have an iPad specific target. When running it my app is simply being scaled to 1024×768, blurring everything… etc. I’m not seeing the behavior you describe nsxdavid (‘with the graphics all in the lower left of the screen’).

> Correction, I think cocos2d DOES understand the bigger screen resolution… just that your app may or may not. :)

Any suggestions on how to take advantage of the extra space and have our apps run at true 1024×768? (Instead of 480×320 being scaled up to 1024×768).

Cheers,

d.

January 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm #271635

graphG
@graphg

Right click on your target and select Transition. Then change your active target to the -ipad version…

January 28, 2010 at 8:27 pm #271636

graphG
@graphg

Let me know how your performance is, I am having real issues getting my game to run above 30fps in the simulator, see my other post.

January 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm #271637

Barney
Participant
@barney

I’m only getting about 24fps on a fairly beefy Mac Book Pro when I go to full resolution. The fan runs like its about to about to spin off the axle.

January 28, 2010 at 9:21 pm #271638

graphG
@graphg

@Barney interesting…. This is going to be crazy to get a game out for launch, if we can’t test on the device how can we be sure it’ll perform well!

January 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm #271639

Barney
Participant
@barney

@graphG….Considering past release cycles we can probably expect some Game specific updates as it gets closer to launch. I definitely encourage going into the forums or the bug reporting tool and providing feedback.

I think the most important thing for us in the interim is to make sure we have a good solid design and try not to deviate too far from the foundation laid in the current devices on the first go.

I’m hoping the device is going to at least be capable of scaling up the performance of the 3GS to the larger screen surface so most of our current games should be expected to function even if we ramp up the graphics quality accordingly.

The real question is how far we can go beyond that, but hey we’re still talking Cocos2D so we should be okay.

Barney

January 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm #271640

graphG
@graphg

Hi @Barney

Yeah that’s sensible, certainly seems the best way to approach this until we have a device to play with. Reports are coming in that the A4 is quite a monster so we should be cool!

January 29, 2010 at 1:13 am #271641

Drunknbass
Participant
@drunknbass

are all these tests(w/ bad performance) using iphone compiled apps scaled to 2x? has anyone tried a full ipad screen sized eglview and see if it still runs as poor?

January 29, 2010 at 4:51 am #271642

teedr
@teedr

I have right clicked on my target and select Transition. Then changed my active target to the -ipad version.

But when I go to run in the simulator, I get the error:

“Failed to launch simulated application: Unknown error.”

Am I missing something obvious?

January 29, 2010 at 10:56 am #271643

graphG
@graphg

@Drunknbass yes I’ve compiled for iPad with the native screen size, and the performance is bad, 12-30 fps, where as the original app at the original resolution runs at 60fps on a gen 1 device.

As @ Barney said, I guess we have to keep the faith, and assume the new hardware can handle an increase in res without killing the framerate.

Does anyone know any specs on the GPU part of A4? i.e what is the maximum texture atlas we could use etc…. Sorry for the noob questions!

January 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm #271644

Blue Ether
Participant
@blue-ether

I have no performance issues on my MacBook running iPhone apps in compatibility mode at either 1x or 2x, for whatever that is worth. But yes I do have problems when I start scaling everything up to fill the screen as a native iPad app.

@graphG: Max texture size in OpenGL ES 2.0 is 2048×2048. The ratio of screen size to max texture size is now not quite as good as it is on iPhone, but it should be good enough.

January 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm #271645

graphG
@graphg

@Blue Ether thanks.

I guess at this stage we have to assume our games won’t be graphics bound when upscaling to the bigger res. The A4 details seem a bit sparse at the moment. Riq, is there anything else to consider when scaling our games up to 1024×768?

January 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm #271646

Blue Ether
Participant
@blue-ether

I think the confusing issue here is that, as we all should know, the iPhone Simulator is useless for judging device performance of OpenGL. It’s not even attempting to emulate the hardware but merely rendering its own OpenGL as if it were a Mac application.

So, what to make of the slow performance in the iPad simulator? On the surface, it seems ridiculous that our burly Macs can’t handle something the little A4 supposedly can, optimized though it may be. Than again, perhaps the simulator itself is also poorly optimized.

Without hearing something from Apple, its hard to be sure about what is going on.

January 29, 2010 at 6:04 pm #271647

mitchallen
@mitchallen

I’ve posted a temp hack to get around the hard-coding in Director.m: http://mitchallen.com/iphone/archives/506 . I tried it with code based on the Sprite demos and it seems to solve scaling on the iPad – at least in landscape mode.

January 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm #271648

teedr
@teedr

There appears to be some reported bugs on poor FPS performance in the sim for 3.2

https://devforums.apple.com/message/161171#161171

January 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm #271649

Drunknbass
Participant
@drunknbass

mitchallen why would use use an ifdef?

why not just use something like

float w = 480 / 2;

float h = 320 / 2;

if (CGRectEqualToRect([UIScreen mainScreen].bounds, CGRectMake(0, 0, 768, 1024))) {

w = 1024 / 2;

h = 768 / 2;

}

January 29, 2010 at 7:10 pm #271650

eoin
Participant
@eoin

Is the If statement even necessary. Why would w = frame.size.width/ 2, and h = frame.size.height /2 where frame was previously assigned [UIScreen bounds]? Is the call to UIScreen bounds expensive?

January 29, 2010 at 9:01 pm #271651

mitchallen
@mitchallen

I was trying to do a quick local hack. The problem is that this function is constantly being called. Ideally you would want to do something like this:

CGRect rect;

// Get screen dimensions

rect = [[UIScreen mainScreen] bounds];

and use rect.size.width, rect.size.height

But I don’t think you would want to do this over and over here. I haven’t delved into the mechanics enough to know if the Director already sets these values to private variables initialized once on startup that can be accessed. That would be ideal – and yeah, no #ifdefs.

But I figured there was no point in getting into a detailed solution since I’m sure one will be coming soon.

January 29, 2010 at 11:07 pm #271652

Drunknbass
Participant
@drunknbass

if its called over and over (like multiple times per second) id define a var to hold the cgsize, if not and its only called sometimes, it really doesnt matter.

and eoin.

the if statement is necessary to set the correct size for the iPad if the screen size is detected to be that size, so you first set the size to iphone/ipod size and only change it if its an ipad. essentially the same as an if else but cleaner.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.