If you build your game with SD images…

Forums Programming cocos2d support (graphics engine) If you build your game with SD images…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FBryant 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 13, 2012 at 12:13 am #238375

FBryant
Participant
@fbryant

Ok I’m aware there are many posts on this all over the web but the answers are SO inconsistent so I’d really appreciate it if someone could clean this up:

If you have built your iPhone app ignoring the whole HD concept (so background images are 480×320), can you still make your app look decent on an HD device? These are the main questions:

1) I understand I need HD versions of all my images with “-hd”, but how do I get these? Wouldn’t simply doubling the size of my images in photohop make them look bad?

2) If I don’t supply HD images and just turn off retina support (comment-out the line in cocos2d) how would it look on an iPhone 4? (There have been a TON of conflicting answers on this)

January 13, 2012 at 12:22 am #361968

mavrik5150
Participant
@mavrik5150

I have a couple games that came out prior to the Retina devices and they haven’t had any updates yet to use Retina images and the games are a little fuzzy, basically it looks like someone put three screen protectors over my screen so there’s a little fuzz around each image. The games are still totally playable and that doesn’t interfere with the gameplay at all, but it doesn’t look as clean as a game that does have Retina images included.

I’m know artist so I don’t know if just doubling their size in Photoshop would be sufficient enough, if you have the source files (the PSD or whatever) then you may be able to use that file to create your HD images without having too many issues (I think I’ve read somewhere that you not only want to double the size but double the DPI as well to help keep the image from getting too blurry).

January 13, 2012 at 12:24 am #361969

toadkick
Participant
@toadkick

The short answer is, if you don’t include retina support for your game, then it will not look crisp on a retina display. You can turn off retina support, and use the SD graphics, and it will work, but it will look blurry.

We did not include retina support for Cow Trouble, but since the majority of our art was pixellated, there were some tricks we were able to use to keep the graphics from being as blurry as they would have otherwise been. We made sure to position all of our objects exactly on pixel boundaries and used a 2D projection. However, there’s not really much you can do for text…it is going to be blurry no matter what you do.

Really, you should consider adding retina support to your game. Retina devices are here to stay, and in a couple of years there will not be many non-retina devices left. Instead of creating your art for the non-retina display, and then double-sizing it for retina, you should consider creating your art specifically for the retina display, and generating assets scaled to 50% for the non-retina display. If you are planning on using sprite sheets, then tools like Texture Packer have options to export scaled down sprite sheets, which will make life easier. It’s also not too difficult to write a build script to automatically create scaled down assets.

Also, if you do plan on including retina support, it would probably be a better idea to use Apple’s @2x suffix for your assets, rather than the -hd suffix (see http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forum/topic/28289 for a discussion about this). Duckwit even touches on the fact that it’s possible to make non-retina assets look crisper on a retina display if you are using pixellated graphics.

January 13, 2012 at 12:38 am #361970

FBryant
Participant
@fbryant

Thank you for the responses. So really the only way to make it look good is to make my images double the size from the start (before exporting as .pngs)? Wow that’s gonna take me years if so.

Sadly I only have a 3G to test on, so I can’t see how fuzzy it would look on an iPhone 4 wth SD graphics.

January 13, 2012 at 12:45 am #361971

toadkick
Participant
@toadkick

I’m no artist, so I can’t say for sure, but it doesn’t seem like it should take *that* much longer to create your art at a larger size. If you’ve already generated a ton of art for non-retina resolutions then I understand that having to redo them all would take time, but if you generate them at retina resolution to start with it should’t be that much of a hit. That’s pretty much the only way to do it.

The iPhone Simulator has a retina display mode, so you should be able to get some idea of what your graphics will look like on a retina vs. non-retina display.

January 13, 2012 at 10:32 am #361972

FBryant
Participant
@fbryant

Ok cheers. One thing I don’t quite follow is the resolution concept. For instance when I created my background I made it look nice then exported it from Photoshop with dimensions 480×320. For me, specifying any kind of resolution never came into the picture, where would it have?

By taking ages I mean I’m going to need to double the size of every image in Flash and export it, and then apply all Photoshop effects again for each one. The images were drawn in Flash so they can only be doubled in that without losing quality (afaik).

January 13, 2012 at 10:46 am #361973

hactar
@hactar

Forget the word “resolution”, it gets used and misused in many contexts.

There is no other way than what you described if you are upgrading from an SD game. Doubling the size of everything in flash and applying all effects again in photoshop will result in crisp retina gfx. Simply upscaling in photoshop will result in fuzzy gfx.

If you are creating new art resources, have them created in the retina size (960×640) and then downscale them to half their size for the SD graphics. Downscaling can be done in photoshop and your gfx will remain crisp on the SD devices.

Upscaling == bad, Downscaling == good.

January 13, 2012 at 10:48 am #361974

FBryant
Participant
@fbryant

Will do, thanks :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.