I want to study multiplayer games

Forums Programming Programming – Everything else I want to study multiplayer games

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Warchief 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 23, 2011 at 9:02 am #227822

Warchief
@warchief

I want to study multiplayer games but I don’t know how to start it.

Do you know which website or article or Tutorial or book/e-book or some small project that make me more understand about multiplayer games? Thank a lot.

(I have language barrier, English is not my first language.)

January 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm #311689

Warchief
@warchief

I forget to tell you I want to study multiplayer games by using cocos2d for iPhone

January 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm #311690

developerDoug
Participant
@developerdoug

Beginning iPhone Games Development is a pretty good book. Chapter 13 is about networking for iPhone games. Hope that helps.

January 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm #311691

Warchief
@warchief

What about finish multiplayer games project by cocos2d , I want it too.

January 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm #311692

Dragyn
@dragyn

Multiplayer games can be hard to write. It also depends on what type of multiplayer game you want to write.

Some basic types of “multiplayer” games:

1) You can easily build a game where you play yourself and share scores with others using OpenFeint or GameCenter. (most common)

2) Two people playing at the same time, on the same device. This could be two peopel touching the screen at the same time, or taking turns. (like Tap of War)

3) Multiple people taking turns from different locations (like Scrabble)

4) Multiple people playing in real time from their own locations. (shooters like Archetype, NOVA, etc.)

Honestly, it’s hard to provide advice when there’s such a range of what people mean when they say “multiplayer”.

If you are looking for something like #1 or #2, you should be able to follow some of the tutorials in the Documentation (on this site) and just add a way for 2 people to play at once.

If you are looking for something like like #3, you’ll need to communicate with a central server (yours) that can process the data and push it back out to the players.

If you mean something like #4, then you’ll need a LOT of experience with networking (check out the reference that @developerDoug gave as a starting point). The other thing you will need is a good, fast server. With the shooters like Archetype, they have 5 servers (probably server clusters) worldwide, and for each game they are constantly processing all game location for 10 players simultaneously, putting it all together, and sending out the revised game information to all 10 players. And there are dozens, if not hundreds, or games being played at the same time.

I think I can safely say that you might find some really simple tutorials of games like #3 and #4, you won’t find anything that will actually take you step by step through the building of a production-ready game.

Take your idea, and break it down into smaller pieces, and look for tutorials for those. (First, I need to make a cartoon banana on the screen that responds to touches. Next, I need to make the game send information about the banana to a script on my web server. Then, I need to make the server process that information and send updates back to the game to do something to the banana. etc.) You will quickly get lost if you dive into the deep end of the pool on multiplayer.

I hope this has helped. Good luck!

January 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm #311693

Connor
Participant
@techy

@Warchief with Game Center you can create multiplayer games. I would just look at the Game Center documentation on the apple website… I’ve used it a couple of times and it works really well.

January 26, 2011 at 12:03 pm #311694

Warchief
@warchief

Can cocos2d for iphone project run code multiplayer games from Game Center documentation on the apple website?

January 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm #311695

Warchief
@warchief

Oh, I try to create multiplater games in peer-to-peer though bluetooth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.