[Game] Unreal Trial. Free version available in AppStore

Forums cocos2d games [Game] Unreal Trial. Free version available in AppStore

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  tanman 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
September 23, 2009 at 8:13 pm #217527

MikeJ
@mikej

Hello, everyone.

Yesterday my first game for iPhone was approved for AppStore. Its free version, full one is coming soon(hope for fast approval).

Ofcourse i want to thank Riq, Steve and everyone else who helped to make cocos2d. For sure i wouldnt have started to make my own game if i wouldnt find it. Actually 4 months ago i didnt know anything about programming at all. Cocos is really great thing for new developers.

AppStore description:

Unreal Trial is challenging motocross game with beautiful graphics presenting to you huge variability of levels from pretty easy to such which will require all of your skills. Choose one of the three unique motorcycles and try to complete all of the levels in best traditions of Elastomania and Gravity Defied.

Advanced real physics engine in combination wih user-friendly adjustable controls makes it possible to get over any obstacle you can imagine.

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329848247&mt=8

I would appreciate any feedback and ofcourse ratings and nice reviews in AppStore.

September 24, 2009 at 4:46 am #261687

Codemattic
@codemattic

Terrific 2d motocross sim. I left a good review. Im shocked at the ratings in the store – how did 11 out of 29 people give a 1 star rating – what the frick do they want? For free no less. Maybe its the rate-on-delete function. Maybe its the griefers. When will you release a bigger, paid version – and what will you add to it?

September 24, 2009 at 5:11 am #261688

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

Ok, I’ve got to agree with Codemattic, this game is great, so congratulations on the quality release. The presentation on this game is outstanding.

What I’m about to say though comes not as a gamer, but as a trials rider with about 10 years experience. First off, the bikes don’t look like trials bikes, they are straight motorcross. Just a small point. The second is that the game would be great with in-game sound – listening to the revs of an engine is a crucial part of predicting how your bike is going to act. I hope you add revs to the full game. Also, the physics is a little off for a trials bike (I know, I’m being picky). The wheels need more friction, especially when you launch off something with the front wheel in the air. A real trials rider would land back wheel first padding the rear brake, so the momentum of the bike and rider would bring the front wheel down regardless of whether the rider’s center of balance is behind the axle/hub of the back wheel. If I try this in game by pressing the down button before contact with the ground but the wheel slips out instead. Maybe it’s just me? I hope that makes sense! Last request – a rev and clutch system. I’m not sure how you’d implement that. Perhaps a double tap on the forward button gets the revs high and then releases the clutch when you release after the second touch? You should be able to be stationary, get the revs up, bounce or lean back and then release to get the front wheel up. Revs are important. Sorry, a long paragraph, but still, sound, revs, revs, sound, and revs. Do it :D

Still, an awesome game! My wife is playing as I write this, and she loves it though she says it’s difficult (crashes a lot).

Best of luck in the store.

jonathan0382

Shape Reactor – hated by touch arcade admins, but loved by everyone else. F U TA ARN

September 24, 2009 at 5:24 am #261689

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

Boom, just whipped through level 2 in 57 seconds. I like this game! Add revs!

September 24, 2009 at 5:48 am #261690

Mitch Lindgren
@lindgrenm

I just downloaded it and left a 5 star review on the Canadian app store – not just because you’re a Cocos2D dev either; I feel that the game really deserves it, especially since it’s free.

It did take me a while to get used to the controls, but once I did they seemed quite natural. I imagine this initial learning curve is, unfortunately, where you’re getting bad ratings from. People download it, can’t immediately master the controls, and give up, deleting the app and giving it one star in the process – totally undeserved, and another example of why Apple’s “rate on delete” prompt is stupid.

Anyway, I’m absolutely terrible at these trial games so I didn’t get very far, but I had fun nevertheless. Some kind of checkpoint system would be nice – perhaps make it optional so that more skilled players can challenge themselves, whereas newbies like me can take it easy.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with the previous comments. Top-notch presentation and good design all around, and even though I suck at it, the game is enjoyable. Good luck with your paid version!

September 24, 2009 at 7:19 am #261691

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

I’ve just played this for an hour, and it’s excellent. I left you a 5 star review on the US app store. It feels just like a trials game should, which in my experience is a first on any platform. Out-f-ing-standing!

Concerning the 1 star reviews, perhaps your game is a little misleading. Sure, it has trials in the name, but the bikes look like motorcross (speed and jumps), and on he title screen there is a guy doing a motocross trick. Until you actually get in game it screams motorcross/speed/jumps/stunts. Perhaps people feel mislead or confused?

Jonathan0382

September 24, 2009 at 9:10 am #261692

MikeJ
@mikej

@Codemattic, yeah im also quite disappointed about rating, but still havent seen any bad reviews(only with 4, 5 stars) thats making some optimism. Full version is already submitted and hope will be approved at the middle of next week, will cost 0.99. It will contain 150 tracks divided for 15 levels and Open Feint will be integrated in it(online records ladders and some achievements).

@jonathan0382, thx for nice feedbacks. Gonna try some of ur physics suggestions. Anyway its kinda hard to bring totally realistic simulation using chipmunk or i guess any other free 2d physics engine, so im trying to balance between realism and playability…

September 24, 2009 at 3:52 pm #261693

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

@MikeJ: You’re game is addictive. I woke up wanting to play it, and was even tempted at a stop sign on the way to work. It’s ace.

September 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm #261694

riq
Keymaster
@admin

Hey MijeJ,

Nice game! The graphics and physics are great. Congratulations.

At the beginning I thought it was a sort of “MX Mayhem” game.

And if you play the game like a simple “motorcross” game, it’s very hard to play it.

Actually I couldn’t pass level 2.

Then I realized that it was a sort of Trial competition and I played it more carefully.

So my suggestion would be:

- The user should know that this is a trial game and not a motorcross game. The game experience is completely different if you know it before starting to play. Eg: perhaps adding a video and/or animation that shows what a trial bike is supposed to do.

another little suggestions:

- don’t stop the game as soon as you crash. it would be nice to see 1 or 2 seconds of the biker “dying” (like in “MX Mayhem”).

September 24, 2009 at 7:18 pm #261695

MikeJ
@mikej

@riq, thx for feedback, gonna keep it in mind…

@jonathan0382, great, hope u want be alone addicted :D

and thx to everyone for reviews and ratings!

September 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm #261696

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

@MikeJ: ok, I just played the game again (for another hour!) and realized that there is sound in game, it’s just uberquiet compared to the menu sound. A volume boost would be great.

Here’s a thought: in trials you sometimes get the wheels in a rut and bounce the bike on the suspension while giving it some gas. This is also a great way to get onto the back wheel when you have v.limited room. Could you do this and perhaps use the accelerometer?

September 25, 2009 at 9:37 am #261697

MikeJ
@mikej

According to accelerometer, as riq noticed its not just a motocross game but more like a trial. Ive had accelometer control option before, but suggested that its going to be veeery hard to use it especially at harder levels, where u need to tilt bike really fast… so i decided to remove it.

September 25, 2009 at 4:00 pm #261698

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

@MikeJ: What I meant was using an up/down shake to jump the bike when it gets in a rut. I did not mean using the accelerometer for the velocity or weight distribution, as the current controls work very well. Anyway, combine an up/down shake with some throttle and it could be a good way to get over smaller obstacles. I can see it working, but if you can’t then no worries.

September 25, 2009 at 9:18 pm #261699

MikeJ
@mikej

To be honest, im hardly understanding what you suggest. To implement some control option to get fast on back wheel? Did i get it right?

September 26, 2009 at 9:47 am #261700

Codemattic
@codemattic

I think one danger of releasing a lite version first, and so far ahead of the paid version, is all the people who tried the lite version, liked it, and would of bought the paid had they been able to impulse buy – but now will have forgotten about it.

September 26, 2009 at 6:56 pm #261701

jonathan0382
Participant
@jonathan0382

@MikeJ: Yes, that is exactly what I mean. It would not be so important on the 450cc, or even the 250cc, but definitely on the 125cc.

Oh, and there is a bug in the game that happens when you complete the 5th level of any class and then hit “next track”. The game just pauses and, in my case, the home button stopped working too. It required a full reboot, and then the game would not start – it froze on the default.png splash screen. After a second restart it booted properly and I could play again.

September 26, 2009 at 8:34 pm #261702

MikeJ
@mikej

Hmm, strange, it doesnt happen on devices i use. On what device, OS version do you run app?

September 27, 2009 at 7:13 am #261703

ob1
@ob1

I love the game. My girlfriend does too, but I can’t let her play too much or she will get grumpy for the whole day. You might want to tone down the difficulty a bit for the app store, it might frustrate casual gamers. Also you are probably given too much in this free version.

September 27, 2009 at 8:33 pm #261704

thesmileman
@thesmileman

I really enjoy the graphics with on this game but I seem to be completely unable to control any of the bikes. It appears others are not having these problems but for me the controls just seem too sensitive.

For example I just want to slightly tip the bike forward and if I tap the forward button I don’t get enough movement but if I hold it down for even the slightest amount of time the bike tips over. As a suggestion to improve the control is to remove both forward and back buttons and replace them with a slider strip that allows you more control over the amount of force being applied. For example if you are in the middle of the slider there is no movement and as you move to the left of center more and more force is applied to tip the bike backward and as you move right of the center more and more force is applied to tip the bike forward. It would also be nice to incorporate the same model for the throttle so you can have better control of the speed of the bike.

I will keep trying and see if I can get better at it.

Thanks!

October 3, 2009 at 8:17 am #261705

MikeJ
@mikej

Full version finally released. As i said before it contains 150 tracks and Open Feint integration.

Here is the link:http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331468649&mt=8

And promocodes:

TRTH4P9RNEY9

6TMXH76AA7J3

LH69T9F3KJKY

EKTWTKERMYHK

33RYK3WHXHEA

J3P3JF6F4KAJ

YXHFWKPWKYYX

RYFHRJ7PRRRF

PHLMA4NKLE4A

To those who feel that this game is to hard for them, you can wait for next patch which im going to submit today(tommorow) and hope it will released soon enough. It contains another game mode adding checkpoints and also overall difficulty in it was lowered by few physics and control adjustments.

October 3, 2009 at 9:27 am #261706

Mitch Lindgren
@lindgrenm

Thanks! I used PHLMA4NKLE4A. I’ll leave a review tomorrow.

I have a question about the development, if you don’t mind… what kind of format did you use to store your terrain data?

October 3, 2009 at 9:51 am #261707

Codemattic
@codemattic

I used TRTH4P9RNEY9 and gave you a good review in the store.

Some suggestions: The “back” arrow points right, it should point left, I keep tapping it thinking it means “ok, continue” – in iPhone OS GUI left is “back, cancel” and right is “next, ok, continue”. Also the game starts rotated the wrong way – you can change it in options – but you should start it off in the correct orientation by default.

Its a great game tho – good luck in the store.

October 3, 2009 at 9:56 am #261708

MikeJ
@mikej

@lindgrenM, its stored in plain text files…

@Codemattic, thx, will keep it in mind.

October 3, 2009 at 12:37 pm #261709

ob1
@ob1

Bought it. It’s my favorite game at the moment, I play all the time.

But I still can’t finish one of the levels in the free version. You might frustrate people with the difficulty and they might therefore not buy the full.

Also I guess since you are over 10MB OTA downloads are out of the question. No way you can compress that a bit ?

A few more remarks, I would like a checkmark that says which level I have completed (hard to know if you have already completed the last level in a “world”. I would also like to have levels unlocked in bundles (like 3 or 4) so I am not always frustrated because of a level I can’t pass.

A completion bar on the minimap would also be nice to know of far you are from the finish line.

October 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm #261710

tanman
@tanman

Great game.

Any hint for track 5 of world 2? The spot where you need to jump because the ramp out of the hole is too steep to climb?

Thanks

Nevermind, jusst passed it :)

Also, if you like this game and have a PC, you may want to check out Trials 2 SE

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.