[GAME] Rogo – Treasure-hunt puzzle game

Forums cocos2d games [GAME] Rogo – Treasure-hunt puzzle game

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alkin 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
December 3, 2010 at 7:37 am #226643

idsky
@idsky

Rogo is a new kind of puzzle game, a mixture of a maze, word-search and sudoku, with an innovative and intuitive interface. Rogo is easy to learn and fun for all ages. You find the loop which collects the most points, solve the puzzle and earn gold. It is simple to play, while challenging to solve. Rogo is perfect for picking up in spare moments and provides a sense of achievement as you complete puzzles, sets and packs. Rogo puzzles were invented in 2009. This app is the first to bring Rogo into the digital world. The loop-drawing game-play makes it ideal for the iPhone, iPod and iPad.

Why developers will find my game interesting:

I modified Cocos slightly to allow Y-axis rotation, used to great advantage on our 3D level-selector. I even darken the side layers a little as they turn away from the camera. I learned what an ‘Apothem’ was in the process (Maths geometry!). I only have 1 scene – the player never leaves the selector screen, it just zooms into one side of the selector to play (and stops rendering all the other sides). Options and Help screens just push the selector slightly to one side and that is the whole interface. Drawing uses a circular bi-directional array of points which can be modified in-place in memory, allowing the user to draw freehand and adjust lines intuitively.

It’s a universal app with HD graphics for iPad and iPhone4. I used Cocos 0.99.4 but with Cocos in a UI wrapper to get the OS swivel for orientation change (iPad only). I use UI widgets for options and embed youtube in a webview for the help video so it doesn’t leave the app and plays on the help screen on iPad.

Why gamers will find my game interesting:

Rather than just light up squares, I fitted hand-made paper scans into the game area and I draw lines with a pencil effect to give a natural look and feel. Changing or erasing your path leaves smudges which looks cool but this is also useful – you can see what paths you have tried and what you haven’t tried – and making a mess can be fun. Tidy people can shake to get rid of the mess though!

You get silver and gold rewards followed by pretty gems and then sparkles and animations if you do well!

Here are some screenshots of Rogo:

This video was done a little hastily to embed into the game help, but here ’tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igleE-5ENNQ

You can download Rogo from iTunes here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rogo/id400118698?mt=8

This is my first iOS coding – I knew nothing about it 6 months ago. I was the sole app Developer and also did the sound and some graphics (splash screen, coins and gems weren’t me). The paper game was invented by 2 university lecturers who founded ‘Creative Heuristics’ and did the other stuff. We got music and the splash, coins and gems graphics done by friends and family.

I really appreciate all of the help I got from other cocos2d users here. Sorry I forgot to add a Cocos2D logo in the game!!

We’ll get that in somewhere for version 1.1!

It’s only 99c (intro price) but here are some PROMO CODES.

Please write an honest review on the app store and comments here would be great too!

AR9WLP9R7NPY

Y47P4PJREJJJ

ALYNWFXJHYXY

MYN3F9PN9JEY

XNA7NTKK37PF

-Bruce Webster.

December 3, 2010 at 10:08 am #306333

KosmoMike
@kosmomike

Interesting idea for a video, and original idea for a game

December 3, 2010 at 10:47 am #306334

fpc
Participant
@fpc

Looks good. Since it’s a new game, you might want to emphasize the link between ‘steps’ and the line drawing in your video/description. Also, you might want to make the lines the user drew then removed dashed, or thinner, or somehow less like the current line. The current line could look more exciting somehow; perhaps it could be brighter, or give off particles or whatever.

December 4, 2010 at 8:14 am #306335

idsky
@idsky

Thanks fpc.

I could make the smudge lines a little fainter.

While pencil lines don’t sparkle, I’ve already got the background lighting up so I guess I could add some sparkle animation to the highlighted background.

December 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm #306336

idsky
@idsky

13 ratings so far – all 5 Star in the New Zealand store! We need some reviews from the US! Rogo was well received at the NZ iDev conference at the weekend – lots of great comments and many people playing it for hours.

April 26, 2011 at 8:42 am #306337

Alkin
Participant
@alkin

thank for sharing..i love this game..Rogo is an entirely new type of puzzle. The object is to collect the biggest score possible using a given number of steps in a loop around a grid.Would suit ages 12 and over. Or younger, with good adding skills.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.