[GAME] Amazing Breaker

Forums cocos2d games [GAME] Amazing Breaker

This topic contains 50 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  cocoBavan 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
June 29, 2011 at 7:43 am #232740

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

Try Amazing Breaker, #1 ice-smashing game at the AppStore!

The aim of the game is to blast the ice sculptures with bombs. The trick is to destroy not just the sculpture, but also any small shards of ice left over. The acceptable minimum is 90%, but to score three stars requires a perfectly neat cleanup of every sliver of ice.

Amazing Breaker Trailer (YouTube)

iTunes link: Amazing Breaker ($0.99)

FEATURES:

+ Full high resolution Retina Display graphics

+ Addictive “Aim and Shoot” Gameplay

+ Game Center & Achievements

+ 80 Awesome Levels

+ More levels coming

+ Easy to learn but hard to master

+ Explosive Excitement – create cascades of exploding crystals

EARN MORE STARS:

1 STAR = 90% of level cleared

2 STARS = 95% of level cleared

3 STARS = 100% of level cleared

BUILD YOUR WINNING STRATEGY:

+ Spike Bomb – simply aim and shoot

+ Ghost Bomb – goes through ice, rub the screen to control it

+ Helicopter Bomb – tap to deploy violet crystals

+ Split Bomb – tap to split into 3 green explosive crystals

iTunes link: Amazing Breaker ($0.99)

http://www.AmazingBreaker.com

June 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm #336095

mobilebros
@mobilebros

Wow, interesting concept; I like the graphics/animations style.

June 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm #336096

Codemattic
@codemattic

Really nice ice special effects. I like how they crack. Impressive.

July 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm #336097

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

Codemattic

its a proud for me to hear those words from _you_ :) really!

Thnx!

July 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm #336098

jptsetung
Participant
@jptsetung

Great great game. Love the style. Each level is a unique bitmap?

July 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm #336099

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

simply 2 words: toucharcade.com review :)

http://toucharcade.com/2011/07/01/amazing-breaker-review-ever-seen-an-ice-sculpture-and-wanted-to-bomb-it/

July 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm #336100

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

jptsetung

Each level is a unique bitmap?

yes, with separated color data & transparency data. Thats why it is only 18Mb and not 60Mb as it seems to be for 80 1024*1024 transparency PNG images:)

Thanx to riq and all cocos2d team! You made a basis for us:)

July 2, 2011 at 8:46 am #336101

jptsetung
Participant
@jptsetung

@xozyain congrats! Not sure to understand what you mean with “separated color data & transparency data” , why does it allow to save about 70% of the bitmap size?

July 2, 2011 at 9:14 am #336102

lws
Participant
@lws

I got this game yesterday, really nice! It has, for some reason, no “Done” button in the Leaderboard view :o (in iOS 5). Quite peculiar, since this is supposed to be a view that should be the same for every app.

Also, I noticed that there is some choppyness in between the levels, where it looks like the game switches between CCDirectorProjection2D and CCDirectorProjection3D and back again.

But overall, awesome puzzler, with great atmosphere :)

July 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm #336103

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

choppyness ??? its really surprise me. And Leaderboard View is standard GameKit View, so i dont know why it is happens in your case :( we`ll check it out!

Thank you for congrats anyway!

@jptsetung:

768*768*32 PNG with transparency = 460kb (in one of examples)

the same compressed JPG = 60kb

+ PNG with alpha information only = 15kb

in loading time i re-create texture with color information from JPG and alpha information from PNG (because i need sharp edges).

so: 460kb in classic mode & 75kb in “mixed” mode.

p.s. English is not my native language, so feel free to re-asking me in cases of bad explanations:)

July 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm #336104

lws
Participant
@lws

@xozyain: so, you have a low bit alpha mask stored in the PNG? Maybe 2 or 4 bits? I assume that 1 bit alpha wouldn’t look half as good.

Anyway, thats a clever technique to tackle the size issue for so many textures. Great!

July 4, 2011 at 3:00 am #336105

Kronon
Participant
@kronon

Very nice game, I love how there’s some strategy involved with the linking of various bombs. And of course, really gorgeous sprites and slick explosion effects.

I’m a bit curious as to how you did the linking effect though. Did you just use ccDrawLine, or just a simple line sprite that you scale and rotate accordingly? Only if you feel like sharing, of course. ^^

July 4, 2011 at 8:04 am #336106

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

Kronon

it’s simply glDrawArrays(GL_LINES, 0, 2); inside -(void)draw{}

July 4, 2011 at 9:08 am #336107

lws
Participant
@lws

What’s more interesting in terms of graphics: How did you do the nice “reflecting stripe” that moves across the image every once in a while? Bonus question: How did you do the “blinking stars” that only seem to appear on the rim or on very bright spots. Are the possible blinking positions encoded, or is there some nice magic? :)

Again, only if you like to share.

Btw, done with all the levels. Such a joy! Gotta write a review now.

July 4, 2011 at 10:53 am #336108

jptsetung
Participant
@jptsetung

@xozyain Thx a lot for sharing the way you compressed your images. Did you try the PVR format ?

July 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm #336109

riq
Keymaster
@admin

Nice game!

July 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm #336110

lws
Participant
@lws

“Sublime Technique!” haha, I liked this :)

July 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm #336111

max9xs
Participant
@max9xs

Wonder full game…! llooks great !

July 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm #336112

Birkemose
Keymaster
@birkemose

I love the “#1 ice smashing game” … I think I will make “#1 hit the laundry basket with your dirty sock game”

Personally I dont think the explosions are very “icy”, to me they look detached, but the ice artwork is absolutely gorgeous, and the way it breaks down is impressive. All this only judged from the video.

If you have a spare code, I would love to give it a spin.

July 5, 2011 at 2:30 am #336113

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

jptsetung pvr makes “blury” edges – obviously, i need sharp edges – thaths why i cant use pvr.

lws oooh:) its a long story about “reflecting stripe”:) – 4 draw passes: shadow teture, image texture, magic stripe, and last texture is… floor! realy not trivial blendings and self-made buffers:)

“blinking stars” – are pre-calculated positions during initial texture “assembling” whith ((point.r > 0xAA) && (point.g > 0xAA) && (point.b > 0xAA))

July 5, 2011 at 2:45 am #336114

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

@riq thanx!

I’ll donate you great work for sure!

July 5, 2011 at 8:50 am #336115

lws
Participant
@lws

@xozyain: I’m impressed by your crazy OpenGL buffering! And the stars are made just like I thought, nice :)

Ok, I’m back to work on my 3-star scores :D

July 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm #336116

zombie
Participant
@zombie

I just downloaded your game. Its amazing. Finally a new game I can spend some time on. Thanks!

I very impressed by your method to reduce the app size. Do you mind opening a new thread explaining this in more detail?

Thomas

July 6, 2011 at 2:36 am #336117

xozyain
Participant
@xozyain

zombie it is very simple :)

i use perl-script to separate color data to JPG with selectable quality (in my case of color and not sharp images i can use rather low quality) and PNG with alpha – 1bit or 8 bit image.

My CCSprite modificztion contains -()SpriteWith2Files method(filename), where i load both files (filename.jpg & _filename.png) and create new texture using great CCMutableTexture by adding aplha to color information & clipiing “garbage” JPEG data where i dont need it.

Thats all!

July 6, 2011 at 7:25 am #336118

zombie
Participant
@zombie

Thx xozyain: We will try that in our upcoming title. Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to get it below 20MB.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.