[Discussion] 3D sound and games

Forums Cafe [Discussion] 3D sound and games

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ayt 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 22, 2012 at 11:11 am #241726

Yohan85
Participant
@yohan85

Hi all,

I am in the middle of programing my game and I wanted to share with you some thoughts about sounds in games, especially 3D sounds. First I came across a game called Papa Sangre a while ago: the first game using only sound and no visual at all (designers can have a rest). I thought this was really innovative and downloaded the game, t is indeed really new even if I think we can really do better than this.

I then ran into holophonic sounds: it’s basically sounds recorded with 2 microphones mounted on a fake head, simulating “resonance” and sound waves going trough the head volume. You can hear the kind of sound this system records here (sorry it is a french website, just click on the play buttons and you’ll soon realize you don’t need translation to guess what’s in your ears ;).

Currenlty I am looking for ways to have these kind of sounds in real time: let’s say you walk in your game, if water is on your right then you’ll hear the sound in your right ear from the right distance. Did anyone already try this or have a clue on how to do it ? (maybe working with pans and volumes)

Hoping this discussion will interest some of you

[EDIT] Found this link for those interested : http://www.crocodella.com.br/2011/05/positional-audio-with-cocos2d-and-cocosdenshion/

May 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm #377997

ayt
Participant
@ayt

You can use ObjectAL for your purpose. You just attach a sound source to the objects making noises and you have to move the listener. The doppler effect is also working with ObjectAL.

I wonder what the benefit of the fake head should be, because when you hear a sound from a speaker or from somewhere else the sound goes through your head like. It would only be a benefit if your earphones are really deep in your ears, but who cares?

May 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm #377998

Yohan85
Participant
@yohan85

ayt > How would you treat the doppler effect ? Affecting pitch ? I also need to change the 3D sound depending on the rotation of the player : if a player is facing a monster, then he receives the whole sound, if he turns 90°, then only his left ear or right ear receives the sound. Maybe I need some more algorithm for that.

About the dummy head : I’m not a pro but as far as I understood, putting the earphones in the dummy head while recording receives the sound waves and takes into consideration all the sound propagation in the whole head and also in the ear structure (mountains and valleys). Thus even the mics are not litterally “inside” your ear, it still can capture the sound just like your ear does. And the result is enough to have a real 3D impression…

May 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm #377999

ayt
Participant
@ayt

the doppler effect is just calculated by objectAL from the inputs you give (listener/source positions). Of course you also have to set the rotation if you want stereo sound.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.