cocos2d games website tab, please read

Forums cocos2d games cocos2d games website tab, please read

This topic contains 70 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  itlgames 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
September 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm #225044

itlgames
@itlgames

As most of you already know, we created the cocos2d games tab a few weeks ago, it’s growing pretty fast, so I would like to everyone to know all other features we have, cos I am not sure they are too obvious (I’m working on it):

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games

1) When you created the game, you had the option to add your forum username, if you did so, then you can log in with your same details here:

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games/cms

There you will be able to refresh the iTunes info, and add more details, like version of cocos2d used (I would like everyone to fill this if possible), and also you can add youtube videos, and review links.

2) You can also change/refine the categories, I have seen some games in wrong categories, I understand we don’t have all categories you may wish, but if you contact me and we think is ok, we can add any more categories on request. I have seen for example the game WordFactory under arcade. Would be nice if people could review their categories.

3) If you failed to add your username when adding the game, you can update your record, just go again to the add page section and be sure you do this time, you will be also updating the rest of the information:

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games/add/

4) Last, we are working on a simple cross-promotion network exclusive for cocos2d games:

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games/network?id=356286001

Just replacing the 356286001 with your game code, will display a random list of games on same categories. The idea is to use this HTML on a UIWebView, for example, but I will also work on a XML solution so you can personalize and integrate as you wish.

Any feedback appreciated.

September 25, 2010 at 11:29 pm #299132

cublah
Participant
@cublah

Can you put an Entertainment section, not every project is a game.

September 26, 2010 at 8:09 am #299133

itlgames
@itlgames

Entertainment is very generic, it could mean anything and it means nothing, we want to be a bit more specific, something that defines your game/application, and if possible away for the iTunes categories. We already have non games related categories, like Artistic, Books and Photography, that’s the kind of categories we are looking for.

September 26, 2010 at 8:51 pm #299134

cublah
Participant
@cublah

ok..but I have an App that was featured by Apple last December and it doesn’t fit any of the categories.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/christmas-fire/id297374413?mt=8

September 26, 2010 at 9:26 pm #299135

itlgames
@itlgames

You could perfectly say your app belongs to Music, for example. We just don’t think Entertainment is a very descriptive adjective for any game/application.

September 26, 2010 at 11:47 pm #299136

sabshire
Participant
@sabshire

Great idea… I’ll add a “Find other games” type button on my game’s menu..

Thanks!

September 27, 2010 at 1:12 am #299137

Kitsune
@kitsune

Just some suggestions.

I think it makes more sense if we rename the categories after the App Store Categories so there’s a little more consistency with what potential users see here and what they see on the App Store. Some of these aren’t really classifiable as actual game genres/categories such as “Flying Hero” or “Doodle” or “Zombies”. Its better if we name the categories to the norm/appstore categories (i.e. Action,Adventure,Role Playing etc.)

Also I agree with @cublah about adding an “Entertainment” category as well.

“Entertainment” is an actual category in the app store. Some people look for Entertainment apps specifically. It may sound “vague” or “generic”, but it is an actual category which regular iphone users recognize in the appstore… because again, I think the categorization should mimic how your apps/games are categorized in the appstore… not with “Zombie” or “Doodle” or “Flying Hero”. You have categories labelled “Artistic” and “Retro” which could mean anything really. So why not an “Entertainment” category?

Now if you really want to specify your game with specific words such as “Doodle” or be visible after running a search for the keyword “Doodle”, maybe we can have a tagging feature on top of categories. (edit: I just realized there is no search feature)

If you disagree with these it’s fine but please add a “Role Playing” and “Adventure” category. I have a few games out that don’t fit any of the categories and I’m pretty sure “Role Playing” and “Adventure” are pretty common categories.

Thanks for all the efforts! I know you guys do this on your free time and you have no obligation whatsoever in complying with my suggestions but what the hey, just my 2 cents. ;)

September 27, 2010 at 1:56 am #299138

Benihana
Participant
@benihana

I’m not a big fan of the app store categories, but I do agree with matching them here. It would be great to have drill down categories (like side-scroller or matching) if that’s possible. I really hate seeing those mob wars style games under RPG, so I’d love to filter them out, but that’s not an option.

September 27, 2010 at 8:13 am #299139

itlgames
@itlgames

Thanks for feedback guys, yes, we do this on our free time and with no monetary interest whatsoever, but we like your input, we have added most of these categories under request of you guys, but we need to keep the list not too long and sorted.

So let’s call them tags, or keywords, but not categories. We like things like “Adventure” and “Role Playing”, that’s why we were asking, I added them already. But “Entertainment” is still something too generic really. “Artistic” and “Retro” are more descriptive than “Entertainment”, if I say my game is “Retro”, you would instantly know or expect my game will have this retro-style look (and sorry but if you are in gaming you must know what retro is, and after all cocos2d is mainly used in games), and “Artistic” could mean like a painting application, they really are more descriptive. But “Entertainment”, really, all games are “Entertainment”.

Let’s keep the word “category” out of this then, will rename the site as I see it’s confusing people. Think of these tags as an additional way to describe your game/app. The original idea, which we discussed time ago in the forums, was to create a set of descriptive words we could use to link our games, we can also select more than one category, sorry, tag, so you could say your game is “Retro”, “Plaformer” and “Puzzle”, you see my point? is not really categories if you like, it’s adding more detailed info.

So that’s why when we select the related games we get the list of games we get, so with these tags we can create our own network of games for cross-promotion.

September 27, 2010 at 3:40 pm #299140

cublah
Participant
@cublah

But isn’t something like Puzzle fairly generic? There are lots of different types of Puzzles genres, Entertainment is not really associated with games, yes they are entertaining. You suggested I put my app in Music but that doesn’t really fit either, Entertainment may be a bit generic but you need a category that some Apps don’t fit into and Entertainment suits the purpose, otherwise you will have to keep adding all sorts of sub categories.

September 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm #299141

itlgames
@itlgames

@cublah, Puzzle defines the style of a type of games, you may thing is generic, but that is why is good to add some more tags, like Platformer, or Arcade, or Retro… anyway, 3 posts just asking for that category plus @Kitsune also asking, I suppose is worth to be added, so is done now. I’m not here to fight or alienate people, but we need to keep some sort of discipline/management otherwise we could end with and endless list of tags.

September 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm #299142

cublah
Participant
@cublah

Thank you, I’m sorry if you thought I was trying to alienate you that wasn’t my intention.

September 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm #299143

itlgames
@itlgames

It’s cool, hope we can cover everyone needs now, if someone still think we are missing some good categories please let me know.

November 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm #299144

VTX
Participant
@vtx

I added Push Panic with my name: VTX, but I cannot log into the CMS?

December 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm #299145

jittiang
Participant
@jittiang

Everyone help!!

I added my game King&Scum successful and url is “http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games/game/king&amp-scum/409888448″. After that I use this url but it show blank page.

I thik correct url is “http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games/game/king-scum/409888448″.

How Should I Do?

** sorry about my english language

December 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm #299146

itlgames
@itlgames

@jittiang, yeah, we were not expecting the &amp on the url, will prepare an update fix and send to Riq.

@VTX, did you finally manage to get into the CMS? If not PM again and we will try to sort it out. I believe is something to do with the case of your username

December 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm #299147

itlgames
@itlgames

The game “What are you eating?” is also giving issues, cos the “?”, so will also fix.

December 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm #299148

alex_c
Participant
@alex_c

I’m trying to add my game to the list, but I get this error:

Warning: fopen(images/396023651/screenshot_1.png) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/cocos2d/games/scraper/iTunesAppDetails.inc on line 249

An error occured: Failed to open url: http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/037/Purple/0f/fc/63/mzl.raetlmqq.480×480-75.jpg

Application ID is 396023651.

Is it just me?

December 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm #299149

antoine anim
Participant
@antoine-anim

same here! got same error as alex_c

December 21, 2010 at 8:49 am #299150

itlgames
@itlgames

Seems like something is broken, as all you guys are getting same error, will check with Riq.

December 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm #299151

itlgames
@itlgames

Ok, bug fixed, you can now add the games. I also added support for the ? and & characters on the game name, let me know if any further problems.

December 22, 2010 at 3:49 am #299152

antoine anim
Participant
@antoine-anim

yeah!!!! it works! even with & character i have on my game

thanks itlgames!

February 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm #299153

mattg8000
@mattg8000

Hi Itigames

I just tried adding an app to the Games section and got the following error:

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/cocos2d/games/scraper/iTunesAppDetails.inc on line 193 Notice: Undefined variable: INVALID_APP_ID in /var/www/cocos2d/games/scraper/iTunesAppDetails.inc on line 453 An error occured: Cannot match a valid URL to get information from.

Could it be because the app is only listed in the UK store?

The app id is: 413913783

It’s part of a large UK Charity (Comic Relief) promotion for the Red Nose Day. Most of the app is standard UIKit but there is a “Pick-A-Nose” game written in cocos2d.

Comic Relief & Apple are supposed to be marketing the app heavily in the following few days so thought it would be a good app to add to your list.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help get it added to your list.

All the best

Matt

February 3, 2011 at 9:10 pm #299154

mattg8000
@mattg8000

Hi again,

I thought I’d try via the CMS system (http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/games/cms/games) – there appears to be a problem in the left menu section:

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /var/www/cocos2d/games/templates/cms/subnav.inc.php on line 69 Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /var/www/cocos2d/games/templates/cms/subnav.inc.php on line 69

Just to let you know..

Matt

February 3, 2011 at 9:22 pm #299155

itlgames
@itlgames

@mattg8000, the games section won’t work for Mac apps yet, was done only for iPhone/iPad. I am not sure if we can include Mac games really, will need to investigate, but the way it works, we scrap the iTunes website directly to extract the data, and the Mac Store works differently I believe.

Will check the CMS error in a bit, it’s a deprecated function, so apart from the annoying message, everything else should work, but thanks for let me know.

EDIT: CMS error fixed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.