30 days left to upload

Forums iTunes Connect /App Store / Cydia 30 days left to upload

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  davecom 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
September 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm #234887

phil_me_up
@phil_me_up

OK, I really should know the answer to this but could someone please clarify the situation.

I registered the name of my app with iTunes connect a couple of months ago and now I’ve just had a ‘upload it within 30 days or else’ message. The app is almost ready, but I doubt it will be ready for upload within 30 days. Can I upload it as it stands, but ensure that it doesn’t actually get released / reviewed by Apple in order to buy a few more days of development time?

September 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm #345771

Ernesto Hernandez
Participant
@ernesto-hernandez

You could upload and then developer reject it, so it doesn’t get reviewed. But not sure if it’ll actually buy you more time.

September 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm #345772

itlgames
@itlgames

Yes it will buy time, I have had mine for months now! First time I created the app and rejected the binary was April 26, 2011. It wasn’t intentionally, I just did it cos I was going to use InApp Purchase (I didn’t use it at the end)

Hopefully going live next Monday, finally…

September 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm #345773

phil_me_up
@phil_me_up

Thank you! Looks like I’ll be uploading version 0.8 tonight then to buy time!

Make sure you tell us when your app is live! I can guarantee you one sale and a (5*) review! Still haven’t finished the beta version you sent me but I’m enjoying playing through it a few mins at a time.

September 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm #345774

cb31416
Participant
@cb31416

I’m not 100% sure, but I read somewhere on the internet (I think stackoverflow) that if you reject your app to buy more time, it will affect your ranking in the app store because Apple starts counting sales from the date that the app was supposed to be live, and if time passes without sales that’s what affects your ranking in the app store. I don’t know if anybody from the forum has had this experience.

September 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm #345775

djciego
Participant
@djciego

I don’t understand this policy. It is, if I want to develop a game which uses Game Center (i.e. a multiplayer game) I must register the app in iTunes Connect (including a lot of screenshots and icons which obviously still doesn’t exist). A game development can be two weeks, or can be six months, depending on the game complexity. If I’m developing, I’ll need the Game Center testing during all the process, so I don’t really understand that…

September 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm #345776

phil_me_up
@phil_me_up

I’m not 100% sure, but I read somewhere on the internet (I think stackoverflow) that if you reject your app to buy more time, it will affect your ranking in the app store because Apple starts counting sales from the date that the app was supposed to be live, and if time passes without sales that’s what affects your ranking in the app store. I don’t know if anybody from the forum has had this experience.

I have no experience but that doesn’t sound quite right to me. In either case, I’ve always had my actual release date set a couple of months in the future (November I think) so it shouldn’t (hopefully) have any effect.

I don’t understand this policy. It is, if I want to develop a game which uses Game Center (i.e. a multiplayer game) I must register the app in iTunes Connect (including a lot of screenshots and icons which obviously still doesn’t exist). A game development can be two weeks, or can be six months, depending on the game complexity. If I’m developing, I’ll need the Game Center testing during all the process, so I don’t really understand that…

I understand why Apple do this else someone would come along and register every name they can think of which blocks the rest of us using that name. I do however think that the policy is a little odd and I would prefer to see some way of applying for an extension. The tricky part comes when making sure that the application is valid (maybe see if there has been any GC test activity or allow the user to prove the development is genuine). Of course, maybe the upload and developer reject binary is there way of having an application process – after-all, your binary needs to have valid bundle id’s etc.

September 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm #345777

psykano
@psykano

They won’t let you upload a binary below version 1.0, otherwise the rejection method should work.

September 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm #345778

phil_me_up
@phil_me_up

They won’t let you upload a binary below version 1.0, otherwise the rejection method should work.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. If I upload version 1.0 now and reject it, can I upload version 1.0 again (in it’s completed form) or would they expect version 1.1 to be the next upload?

September 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm #345779

cybergreg
Participant
@cybergreg

That has NOT been my experience. My app was created (in iTunes) back in November of 2010 and went live at the end of June 2011. I submitted a (bogus) binary to reset the clock (at least once if not twice). All with version 1.0. Once my “real” app was approved (also version 1.0), it had its “real” release date of June and displayed properly in the store.

I have used the “submit, accepted, reject” method on several apps now without any problems.

The other post about needing extra time for “all” to extra iTunes “stuff” is spot-on. It can take you a week just to get your leader boards and achievements setup (the way you want) and then there’s the testing (when the sandbox is up!). Then throw in In-App purchases and another week or so is gone. Jeepers there’s no time left to program your game! :-)

September 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm #345780

itlgames
@itlgames

@cb31416 that sounds pretty strange, cos you don’t know when it’s suppose to go live until it is approved, and once is approved is approved. I’m sure is not true. Besides, you can always set a live date in the future, liek in 3 months time, and change at any time after you upload your final binary. Also as it has been said, you need to create the app to test the InApp Purchase.

September 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm #345781

cb31416
Participant
@cb31416

So it was probably not true for the experiences that you have had. It’s good to know because I registered my game in iTunes connect and I been kind of stressed to finish at the deadline because I was afraid about the app ranking, but probably just in case I don’t finish in time I can try the rejection trick without affecting the rank.

September 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm #345782

MichaelB
Participant
@michaelb

And a huge warning: if you do let the name expire, thinking you can get it later, you can’t. Maybe a call to Apple might fix it, but it won’t let you just enter the same name again if it has expired.

A friend had said that, and I thought it was crazy. But I was trying to redo an app yesterday we’d let lapse long ago, and yep it’s true. We had to do a different name.

September 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm #345783

itlgames
@itlgames

Yes is true, any app name deleted or expired can’t be reused.

September 1, 2011 at 5:56 pm #345784

Shogan
Participant
@shogan

Yep, @itlgames is 100% correct, you can’t use the name again. Ever. Here is an email I got from Apple just a few days ago when mine expired (I wasn’t concerned with keeping it, or the name so not an issue for me:

Dear xxxxxx,

You did not upload a binary for your app, Xxxxxxx, during the 120-day grace period. As a result, the app has been deleted from iTunes Connect.

This app cannot be restored, nor can you use the App Name or SKU for any other app under your account in the future.

App Name: Xxxxxxx

App Version Number: 1.0

App SKU: xxxxx

App Apple ID: 4346xxxxx

If you have any questions regarding this notice, click Contact Us in iTunes Connect.

Regards,

The iTunes Connect Team

September 1, 2011 at 6:11 pm #345785

psykano
@psykano

Maybe a call to Apple might fix it, but it won’t let you just enter the same name again if it has expired.

Oh boy, if you get a response from iTunes Connect support consider yourself the luckiest iOS developer alive.

@phil_me_up I’m not sure whether you are required to increase your version number if you are updating an app but you can always choose to reject your binary upload before it gets approved for the App Store.

September 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm #345786

cybergreg
Participant
@cybergreg

Regarding IF you or Apple deletes your app from iTunes Connect: 100% correct that YOU cannot use that name ever again, however, anyone else can.

To resolve this, just change the name to something you would never use, then delete the app. Note however, everything you entered into Game Center and in app purchase is gone and can never be reused, regardless of the app rename. Here is where going by Apple’s guidelines; reverse DNS for naming (com.devname.mycoolapp.leveloneLDB) instead of a leaderboardID of “leaderboard” pays off.

September 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm #345787

MisterX
Participant
@misterx

If you upload a binary before the 4 month time period expires, then developer reject the binary, you will never again receive a warning email. One binary upload is all it seems to take to keep the name.

I should know, I currently have 4 App Names registered, two of them were created in 2010 (one over a year ago). All have had a binary uploaded and been developer rejected either once or twice. Since the initial upload and rejection, I have never received any mail from Apple regarding any of them.

The funny part of this is that I have yet to have a completed App appear on the App Store.. My first one should finally be ready for submission in a couple of days, a year and a half after I first became a member of the iOS Developer Program. I joined the program with little to no development experience and severely underestimated how difficult and time consuming it would be, at least for me, to learn how to make one of these games.

I’d go so far as to say it has been one of the most complicated things I have ever done in my life, next to trying to learn Assembly Language decades ago (and failing). Without the Cocos framework, provided by Riq, Steve and the other contributors efforts, I would have dropped out of the program without ever completing even a single working game.

I don’t know how those guys programmed games back in the 70′s and early 80′s. Assembly Language makes Objective-C look like child’s play in comparison. You had guys like Tim Skelley writing hex code on legal pads, entering it into a machine and producing a working game from it. I couldn’t have managed that if someone had offered me $20 million to do so.

September 2, 2011 at 2:39 am #345788

davecom
Participant
@davecom

I think in the 70s the games were still simple enough that I can IMAGINE how some of the people I know from that era did it. What I’m really amazed by is the 80s/early 90s. They did Zelda and Mario 3 for the original NES for example with such limited RAM, CPU, and storage space it’s amazing. And mostly in assembly I’m sure!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.