Cocos2d-x open source project is C++ version of cocos2d-iphone. We focus on making cocos2d framework cross multiple platforms. Mobile games can be written on the top of cocos2d-x in C++ or Lua language, via the COMPLETELY SAME API as cocos2d-iphone, they can easily be built & run on iOS, Android, Samsung Bada and BlackBerry Tablet OS. Cocos2d-x also supports Windows & Linux, therefore we can debug source code easily and write editors on desktop operating systems.
Here’s our website: http://www.cocos2d-x.org
1. Native Gap for cpp
C++ is not as elegant as ObjectiveC, but it is supported widely by most mobile/desktop platforms. Even if some platforms offer high level programming language, for example, WebOS, the closest to html5, they still open a gap of C++ & OpenGL ES for making performance-hungry games. So C++ & OpenGL ES is the most common gaming layer on most platforms.
Cocos2d-x caught is gap to make games cross platforms. Besides libGLES, we can also benefit from various C/C++ resources such as pthread, libxml2, libCurl, poco, etc to reduce our workload.
2. Supported Platforms
(Ordered by stability & reliability)
||63 registered games with about 3.5 million downloads
||Android 2.0~2.3, 3.0~3.1
||62 registered games with about 16.6 million downloads
||Please don’t release games base on win32 port before we replace PowerVR GLES library with OpenGL
||Finished in v0.10.0. Some alpha users have released games onto samsung store, and have totally 90,000+ downloads
||BlackBerry Tablet OS
||Finished & merging. RIM guys joined in us recently
||Linux port uses OpenGL directly.
||Without maintenance for several months
||Only one game released is base on this port. We’re looking for a maintainer of this port
||Finished but unmerged. MeeGo is deprecated by Nokia & Intel after our contributors finished this port, oops
3. Some Top Games using cocos2d-x
- Fishing Joy HD Android port, which as 12,000,000 downloads & 2,000,000 active users. It’s maintaining by cocos2d-x core team
- Link Link 2 HD, 1,500,000 downloads on iOS, and 400,000 on Android
- Castle Empire, social game, New & Noteworthy in AppStore US & China region, (I’m having lots of fun in this game currently )
- 91 Tribe, a social game, ios version, other versions
- Fishing Master, 100,000 downloads of ios version, 250,000 downloads of android version
- Crowd Subway, 270,000 downloads of ios version, 50,000 downloads of android version
- Ah Up Planet, ios version, android version (Warning: Don’t play this game in office, haha)
- Cow vs Alien, Android port
- Super Stickman Golf, Android port
- Bird Hunting Mania, 1,000,000+ downloads on iOS, top10 in China
- Fighting of Sango: Legend of Heroes,
- Cut Cut Boom
- Ninja Chicken 2
1 year ago, cocos2d-x released its first version at Nov.30 2010. During the last year, more than 125 mobile games/apps were released based on cocos2d-x, in other words, 2 new games per week. Many contributors & blog writers joined in us, shared their new platform ports, bug fixes, cool features, and tutorials to community. Thanks to all of you.
We plan to make more cool stuffs in the coming year. You’ll see, aha.