Highlights from v2.0-alpha:
- Forward-ported changes from v1.1 (batched particles, faster reorder, ARC compatible, and more)
- Added alignment + multiline in
- Added “Milliseconds per frame” in Director
- Improved internal GL cache
- and more
Full Changelog: CHANGELOG
Release Notes: Release Notes v2.0-beta
API Reference: API Reference v2.0-beta
Migration Guide: Migrating from v1.x to v2.0
v2.0 Mini FAQ:
Q: Should I use v2.0 or v1.0 ?
- A: It depends on your requirements, and varies from case to case.
- A: If you need to support older devices (1st & 2nd generation iPhones) you should use cocos2d v1.x
- A: If you need to GL shaders, you should use cocos2d v2.x
- A: v2.0 is about supporting new technologies (blocks, OpenGL ES 2.0, etc) and improving the current API, while cocos2d v1.x is about backward compatibility
Q: How stable is v2.0-beta ?
- A: From a code point of view, it is pretty stable. At Zynga, we have just released a game that is based on cocos2d v2.0 (DreamZoo)
- A: But from an API point of view, you should know that the API is still not stable. It might change a bit until v2.0-final is released.
Q: When v2.0-final will be released ?
- A:Most probably during Q1 2012, perhaps in February.