cocos2d for iPhone is a framework for building 2D games, demos, and other graphical/interactive applications. It is based on the cocos2d design: it uses the same concepts, but instead of using python it uses objective-c.
cocos2d for iPhone is:
- Easy to use: it uses a familiar API, and comes with lots of examples
- Fast: it uses the OpenGL ES best practices and optimized data structures
- Flexible: it is easy to extend, easy to integrate with 3rd party libraries
- Free: is open source, compatible both with closed and open source games
- Community supported: cocos2d has an active, big and friendly community (forum, IRC)
- AppStore approved: More than 2500 AppStore games already use it, including many best seller games.
cocos2d for iPhone supports: iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and OS X
- Scene management (workflow)
- Transitions between scenes
- Sprites and Sprite Sheets
- Effects: Lens, Ripple, Waves, Liquid, Twirl, etc.
- Actions (behaviors):
- Trasformation Actions: Move, Rotate, Scale, Jump, etc.
- Composable actions: Sequence, Spawn, Repeat, Reverse
- Ease Actions: Exp, Sin, Cubic, etc.
- Misc actions: CallFunc, OrbitCamera
- Basic menus and buttons
- Integrated physics engine (both Box2d and Chipmunk)
- Particle system
- Text rendering support (variable and fixed width fonts)
- Texture Atlas support
- Tile Map support (TMXmaps):
- Orthogonal maps
- Isometric maps
- Hexagonal maps
- Parallax scrolling support
- Sound support
- Streak Motion support
- Render Texture support
- High Score server (Cocos Live)
- Point based API: Supports Retina Display
- Touch/Accelerometer support (iOS). Keyboard / Mouse support (Mac)
- Portrait and Landscape mode (iOS) / Automatic Fullscreen support (Mac)
- Integrated Pause/Resume
- Fast Textures:Supports PVRTC textures, 8-bit textures, 16-bit textures and 32-bit textures
- Language: objective-c
- OpenGL ES 1.1 based (iOS) / OpenGL 1.5 based (Mac)